Join the Socialist
Socialist publications online
Socialism in the
The Socialist Party Demands
Jobs and work
- A range of policies to achieve full employment, including the
introduction of a maximum 35-hour week without loss of pay, a massive
increase in public spending in healthcare, housing, education,
childcare, leisure and community facilities.
- For the unions to take immediate action to implement their current
minimum wage demands, as a step towards a legal minimum of £8 an hour
(the European Decency Threshold).
- No exemptions.
- For an annual increase in the minimum wage, linked to average
- For the right to decent benefits, training or a job without
- Employment protection rights for all from day one of employment.
- Scrapping the anti-trade union laws.
- Trade unions to be democratically controlled by their members.
- Full-time officials should be regularly elected and receive the wage
of an average worker.
- Abolish big-business secrets.
- Open the books.
- Let the workers know where all the massive profits, tax rebates and
subsidies have gone.
- No transfers of jobs or production without the agreement of the
- All factories and plant threatened with closure to be brought into
public ownership and used for socially-useful production, with
compensation only on the basis of proven need.
- No to the fat cats.
- Renationalise the privatised utilities under democratic
- An immediate 50% increase in the pension as a step towards a living
pension for all pensioners.
- Annual increases to be linked to average earnings.
- Free, good-quality education from the nursery to university.
- A living grant for all students.
- Abolish the fees now!
- Rebuild the National Health Service, as a public service, free at
the point of use and under democratic control.
- Decent public housing with affordable rents.
- End the housing crisis.
- Major investment into a cheap, accessible, integrated public
transport system that meets the needs of the people and the
The environment and food
- A socialist plan for energy production, designed to guarantee cheap
and safe energy for all whilst protecting the environment.
- Such a plan should be worked out by representatives from workers in
the energy sector, scientists, community and environmental
- The aim would be to replace fossil fuels and nuclear power with
massive investment into renewable energy – such as wind, solar and
geothermal (extracting heat from the earth’s interior) sources.
- Agribusiness, including the pharmaceutical companies, to be taken
into public ownership.
- For a food processing and retail industry under workers’ control
to ensure that standards are set by consumers, farm workers and small
- Defend the right to asylum.
- An end to police harassment.
- For the abolition of the Criminal Justice Act.
- Scrap Jack Straw’s so-called 'Terrorism' Act.
- No curtailment of jury trials.
- An end to discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, sexuality,
disability and all forms of prejudice.
International and the military
- No to the occupation of Iraq! Bring the troops home now.
- Abolish third world debt.
- For the neo-colonial countries to refuse to pay.
- Abolish the IMF and the World Bank.
- Scrap all nuclear weapons.
- For an immediate and drastic cut in military spending worldwide.
- A global campaign against chemical and biological weapons.
- Total opposition to Nato.
- No to a European army.
Fight for socialist change
- For a socialist confederation of England, Scotland, Wales and
- For solidarity of the European working class.
- Oppose the bosses' European Union.
- No to the euro.
- For a socialist Europe.
- Take into public ownership the top 150 companies, banks and building
societies that dominate the economy, under democratic working-class
control and management.
- Compensation to be paid on the basis of proven need.
- Campaign to form a new mass party of the working class.
- An end to the rule of profit.
- For a socialist plan of production.
- For a socialist society and economy run to meet the needs of all
whilst protecting our environment.
For a socialist alternative
Council tax and local services
Higher Education and Schools
No to the BNP!
No to the occupation of Iraq!
For a socialist Europe
Join the Socialist Party
Liverpool - a city that
dared to fight